Monday, October 18, 2010

Amanuensis Monday Post 01 1856 Letter to Hiram Lockwood


Genea-blogger John Newmark (who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog) started his own Monday blog theme many months ago called Amanuensis Monday.
What does "amanuensis" mean?
John offers this definition:"A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another."
Today's posting is of a letter from 1856. It is written to my great great great grandfather Hiram Lockwood from his brother George. George is staking Hiram to land in Wisconsin.
The copy of this letter was sent to me from a distant cousin and once again if not for this blog I would not of heard from him or received this.
The original letter is in the hands of distant relative who was a descendant of George.
Transcript of the 1856 Letter
New York August 29,1856
Dear Brother
Herewith I send you a land warrant for One Hundred and Sixty acres of land - with this I want you to enter and pay for the preemption you have adjoining you, which I want you to take the papers in my name, But ultimately for the use of your family. When you have paid the amt that Ambrose and Sturges have advanced to pay for this scrip and the $75 before make $228.60 which you can pay anytime within five years with interest at the rate of 7 per cent per annum. When this is paid by you I will deed the land to your family in trust. I hope you will begin with a full determination to get your family a large and good farm. I want you to answer this letter at once that I may know that you have Re'd it and as soon as you get the papers send them to me by mail. Of the amount advanced I have contacted one half - Amborse and Sturges each one quarter. Should there be another desirable lot joining you that you would deem desirable to make your farm complete it might be worthwhile to prempt it, and then pay for it next year.
We are all well. Hope this will find you so.
In haste your brother
Geo Lockwood

This letter tells us that George and Sturges must have been brothers to Ambrose and my great great great grandfather. Hiram must of named his son George Frederick after his brother George and as to Sturges it was custom at this time to sometimes name a son's first name the same as his mother's last name in her maiden state. Sturges' mother's name was Mary Sturges.
It is wonderful to find distant relatives through www.ancestry.com or blogs. Having a copy of this letter is a treasure.
Thanks for stopping by.. Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...