Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Vintage Postcard of Princeton Minnesota adds mysteries to my family research


I started this post on my vintage postcard blog and after turning around found out that it was written to my Appleton Esler so decided it fit in my family blog also and even more.

Great vintage postcards are not only fun to look at but can be great additions to our genealogy family histories.

Today's posting is of an old card of Princeton Minnesota and the street scene of Eastern Ave. The post mark is hard to read, but with magnifying glass it looks like could be 1909 . At the bottom left of the post card is written copyrighted 1909. So that makes this postcard 101 years old.

The street scene has many businesses including Williams Paint on a sign on first building on the left. On the right side in the middle of the block is a sign for a bakery and restaurant plus other signs that I can not make out. I did a http://www.google.com/ search on Sherwin Williams and found they started in 1866 so this is an old sign advertising their paint

There are residents on the left and one person walking on the right hand side. Most interesting is in the middle of the postcard are two wires in the sky and something is hanging from one. My thought is that it is a person crossing the street on the wire some how.

This post card is addressed to Appleton Esler of Mora Minnesota who was my grandma's step father .
What is written in pencil is hard to understand.
Dear Appleton
? cant possibly meet ? this week and I am not able to do my work now
Please don't send her ? a few days yet as I cant get any one to help me.
signed by maybe Jane? ( who is this )

This post card is a mystery to me. I do not know a lot about my great grandpa Appleton as of now. He married my great grandmother Katherine in 1893 in LaCrosse Wisconsin. He raised my grandmother Grace as his.

I do know he was married once or twice before and brought 2 children to the marriage. He and Katherine had 2 children together so they were a true Brady Bunch of the early 1900's. They moved to Mora Minnesota and lived and died there.

So the mystery is who is this postcard from and what is the meaning of the message and why was it necessary to send to Appleton. This is on my future researches at http://www.ancestry.com/ in the future. I want to learn more about Appleton and who his relatives were.

If you have not thought of adding vintage postcards to your family history books you may want to think about that. This post card was passed down to me from my mother.

Thanks for stopping by.. Grace

2 comments:

  1. The thing hanging between buildings in the middle of the street is actually a street light.

    I wonder if I may have a studio picture card of your relatives? This is only a guess on my part. Its a stuiod card from Winona MN. The names written on it are Grace Daly and Jannette. And then again in another pencil is Grace Hopkin(s) and Jeannette.

    I posted on Rootsweb for Winona County MN shortly after I bought this card.

    Appreciate your comments yea or nah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. J. W. Esler.
    Mrs. Jesse W. Esler died at the
    home of her son, Alphonso, in Green
    wasj btfsh, where she had made her home
    for five years, on Friday, February
    6, aged 79 years.
    Funeral services were conducted at
    the home on Sunday afternoon by
    Rev. Service of the Princeton Metho
    dist church and the vhoi sang a
    cumber of appropriate hymns. The
    obsequies were largely attended.
    Mrs. Jesse W. Esler, whose
    maiden name was Martha M. Keeler,
    was born on November 3, 1834, at
    Lockport, N. Y., and was married
    on March 24, 1855, in Dodge county,
    Wis. Shortly after her marriage she,
    with her husband, moved to Vernon
    county, Wis., and was one of the
    pioneers, helping to build a home in
    the wilderness. She lived there for
    over 30 years and then the family
    came to Minnesota. She is survived
    by three sons, Appleton Esler of
    Mora, Alphonso Esler of Greenbush
    and Marion Esler of Staples.
    Mrs. Esler was a kind-hearted,
    motherly old lady who numbered
    her friends by the score.

    ReplyDelete

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...