Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sentimental Sunday Meet My Great Grand Aunt Etta Anna Zion


I just found this photo on http://www.ancestry.com/ in the last few days. It was posted by a distant cousin Soozinn3 on her family page. After contacting her I learnt she had inherited the photo and was happy to share the photos with relatives.

I would like to introduce you to my great grand Aunt Etta Anna Gertrude Zion

Etta was born 21st of September 1868 Decatur County, Iowa and passed away 31st of December 1890 Lamoni, Decatur, Iowa.

She was only 22 years old and I really know very little of her. How did she die so young. Was it an accident or illness that caused her early death.

She was born to John Henderson and Mary (Cassell) Zion and had four siblings Mary, William, Jonathan Adam ( my great grandfather).

I find this photo very interesting. She appears to be in her early 20's so close to the time she passes away. She is holding on to a pole which could be an umbrella and there is someone standing next to her, but all you can see is an arm and a shoe and a small part of his body.

I went to Soozin family page on http://www.ancestry.com/ to see what she had on Etta and found that Etta had married a Maley Percy the 20th of August, 1890 just two months before her death. How sad is that.

From that knowledge I feel this could be a wedding or engagement picture with Maley and for some reason some one left him out of the picture when they had this printed. Could this even be a postmortem photo printed after she passed away to show she had died? That is what I think it is.

Another interesting fact is the Iowa Cemetery Records have her listed as Etta G Zion. She is buried in the Lillie cemetery where her parents are buried.

The more I think of her, the more I want to know about my great grand aunt Etta Anna Gertrude Zion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 I am nowhere  done searching for my roots. For my missing family members.  So many to fine so little time.  This has been a hard few years ...